It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 pm

NY/NJ Italian 

Post NY/NJ Italian
This is a copy of an email I got from my brother.

Ciao Alberto

Capeeshe Italiano........

I'm sending this out to every person I know who is Italian, could be Italian, married an Italian, lived with Italians or wants to be Italian......!!!!!

Let's start at the beginning.

Come stai? Molto bene. Bon giorno. Ciao. Arrivederci. Every Italian from Italy knows these words and every Italian-American should.

But what about the goomba speech pattern? Those words and phrases that are a little Italian, a little American, and a little slang . Words every Paesano and Bacciagaloop we have heard, - words we hear throughout our Little Italy neighborhood of New York
This form of language, the "Goomba-Italiano" has been used for generations. It's not gangster slang terms like "whack" or "vig", if that's what you are thinking---nope, this is real guido talk!

The goomba says ciao when he arrives or leaves. He says Mama Mia anytime emotion is needed in any given situation. Mannaggia, meengya, oofah, and of course, va fongool can also be used. Capeesh?

He uses a moppeen to wipe his hands in the cuchina, gets agita from the gravy and will shkeevats meatballs unless they are homemade from the famiglia. Always foonah your bread in the pot of gravy (sauce) or you will be considered a real googootz or a Mezzo-finookio.

There are usually plenty of mamalukes and the girl from the neighborhood with the reputation is a facia-bruta, puttana or a schifosa.

If you are called cattivo, cabbadost, sfatcheem, stupido, or strunz, you are usually a pain in the ass. A crazy diavlo can give you the malokya (evil eye), but that red horn (contra malokya) will protect you if you use it right. Don't forget to always say per favore and grazia and prego .

If you are feeling mooshadda or stounad or mezzo-morto, always head to Nonna's and she will fix you up with a little homemade manicott', cavadell', or calamar ', or some ricotta cheesecake.

Mangia some zeppoles, canolis, torrone, struffoli, shfoolyadell', pignoli cookies, or a little nutella on pannetone. Delizioso! I think I will fix myself a sangweech of cabacol' with some proshoot and mozarell' or maybe just a hot slice of peetza .

So salud' if you have any Italian blood in you and you understood anything written here! Then, you are numero uno and a professore of the goombas .

If you don't get any of this, then fa Nabola with the whole thing and you are a disgraziato. Scuzi, mia dispiachay, I didn't mean that....... Just...... fugheddaboudit

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:11 am
Consigliere

My Grandfather (RIP) always called us Grandkids “Bacciagaloops”, and no one knew what it meant. My parents said he made the word up, but obviously not cause other Italians have heard of it or said it. That email was hilarious.

By the way, what does bacciagaloop mean?

That was awesome Mala, thanks.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 am

My family used it as a derogatory term for someone that acted like a pompous ass.

I read somewhere that it referred to Northern Italians. That would make sense because my family are all Southern Italian peasant stock.

My Grandmother always felt that the Northern Italians were uppity (I agree) and thought they were better than her. She however, hated Sicilians and thought they were trash.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:22 am
Consigliere

Sicilian women are the ones who slept with the blacks therefore bringing on the North-South differences. My Grandfather always called us Grandkids that when we were acting like...well....pompous a$$es. The myth where I live is that if you are sicilian, you have some black in ya.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:28 am
Consigliere

Damned uncivilized Southern Italians.... my group was from venezia :-)

Just kidding of course. Don't want to get any of you stirred up... you know how hot your blood runs... next thing you know one of you will whip out a shiv..

Great post from your brother Mal.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:07 am
Runner

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:44 pm

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm
Underboss

Im sending this to my mom. she wants to be italian. :lol:

Wicor, Sicilians Rule !!!!

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 am
Associate

Oy, I'm speaking on behalf of my mother and myself, but we can take pride in being Italian all we want. Last I understood, we're Italian by association. My ma was adopted and raised Italian. For all I know, my lineage could lie in Gypsy past.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm Italian. They identify my ethnicity in the adoption papers.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:30 pm
Associate

Well then, I'm a moron. I thought it had to do with the blood of the biological parents. Nice to know now, considering I always thought a different way.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:55 am
Consigliere

Son of Strega looks like he may be kicked out of a house and a will if he keeps it up.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:50 am

It is about the bloodlines of the biological parents.

My biological relatives are Italian. So are my adoptive relatives.

Stop thinking. You're gonna hurt yourself.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:24 am
Consigliere

If something happens to Son of Strega we have the post as evidence.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:07 am
Consigliere

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:54 am
Consigliere

Why does my left arm feel like it is being cut off?

(enter Mala's Sorprano forum voodoo dolls).

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:18 am

Sorry FD. I was aiming for your heart. :twisted:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 am
Consigliere

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:35 am
Consigliere

Lord knows there is nothing much below the heart to shoot for.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:00 pm
Consigliere

Last edited by Principessa on Tue May 11, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:45 pm
Consigliere

FD, is the man.

Thanks ScottC.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:10 am
Consigliere

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:27 am
Consigliere

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 am
Consigliere

You're funny, FD. :D

Don't encourage him.... kinda like feeding wild animals... they start hanging around too much.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:40 am
Consigliere

Well, I have to say...I've watched the show from day one, never felt the need to discuss it on a forum, BUT, I stumbled onto here somehow one day, and got a glimpse of you two going at it. You guys crack me up. I love it! Everyone on here seems really cool, actually. Kinda felt weird reading w/out joining, though. Almost like a stalker. So, here I am.;)

A bit OT from the current topic, sorry.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:22 am
Consigliere

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 am
Consigliere

Well, I have to say...I've watched the show from day one, never felt the need to discuss it on a forum, BUT, I stumbled onto here somehow one day, and got a glimpse of you two going at it. You guys crack me up. I love it! Everyone on here seems really cool, actually. Kinda felt weird reading w/out joining, though. Almost like a stalker. So, here I am.;)

A bit OT from the current topic, sorry.

We will let you pass on being off topic just because you are new. We usually have people whacked for it.

You're going to get FD over excited with the stalker talk... its always been his fantasy to be stalked. He even tried to hire a crack ho to do it, but she said she would rather go straight...

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 am
Consigliere

Listen, I told you about hiring the crack ho in confidence, it was a one time thing. You ever heard of second chances.

As far as the stalker talk, I am turned on by it, throw in some S&M and I'll have to clean up a mess.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 am
Consigliere

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 am
Consigliere

I'll call maintenance. The new janitor is a hot PR. I ask for her to vacuum under my desk all the time.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:27 am
Consigliere

Last edited by Principessa on Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:30 pm
Consigliere

Principessa, after I left on Friday, the PR janitor had a mess to clean up, and now first thing Monday morning I have to call her over to clean up another, thanks.

My Grandfather always called us bacciagaloops, we had no idea what the f*ck he meant. Even my parents (who are both Italian) had only heard him say it, no one else. I had never heard (or read it) from anywhere again until this post. I think that is great.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:02 am
Runner

My family used it as a derogatory term for someone that acted like a pompous ass.

I read somewhere that it referred to Northern Italians. That would make sense because my family are all Southern Italian peasant stock.

My Grandmother always felt that the Northern Italians were uppity (I agree) and thought they were better than her. She however, hated Sicilians and thought they were trash.

Sorry, I know this thread is quite old, but I just wanted to let you know that Baciagaloop is a common Northern Italian surname with a lot of variations in spelling. I am a Bacigalupo, and apparently there's an entire town where most of the people have this last name--in the Genoa region. It means "Kiss of the Wolf" or "Swinging Wolf". Louis Prima had a character he used multiple times in his songs named Bacigaloop, the best of these is called "Bacigaloop makes love on the Stoop".

So, yes, it's a name from the far north... and Genoa was traditionally the richest and most educated region, but I never got a sense that this town was anything more than small town peasants, but I could be wrong.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 am